CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 18, 2008

I think I'm going to live...


I just want to say thanks for the emails of encouragement and you are all free to share any horror stories now that my own has past....

I will say right up front that I have a high tolerance for pain, and I have had my share of trips to the dentist. This tops them all and if I had it to do over again I would have paid double to be knocked out!! The gal on the phone assured me it would be no big
deal and that for 200.00 it really wasn't worth the extra expense for the "twilight sleep" medication. She is a big fat dentist office liar is all I can say!! Two totally natural child birth experiences and I would have done either of those over again in trade for this....Can they give you an epidural for tooth extraction?

First off I have to say that I didn't know those dental chairs had so many positions. It
was really amazing and if it were not for what I was having done to my mouth, the chair ride could have been almost like a trip to an amusement park. Up, down, reclined, reclined more, nearly upside down reclined and sitting back up...it just went on and on and on....I seriously felt like I was in a Loony Tunes cartoon!



Things I heard a lot:
"You're doing SO good hon!"...assistant
"My wrist is hurting"...dentist
"You are really doing good"....assistant
"You doing O.K.?"...assistant
"My arm is tired, I need a break"...dentist!!!

"You get a rest now honey, you are hanging in there so good!"...assistant
"Sounds like you are getting a workout"....me, as I reach up and pat the dentist
"Yeah, this one doesn't want to come out"....laughing dentist back to me....(dentists should not laugh)
"OK, you might hear a little cracking now..."....assistant
"If it helps at all, that was NOT an easy tooth, you did SO well hanging in there!"...assistant at the end

I did bring my precious iPod and found there was a fine line between it being loud enough to distract my attention and still being able to hear enough to cooperate.

He was a nice guy, and it was not his fault but I have honestly never been more miserable in my whole life. I will give him points for good injections! Really not the worst part, as a whole, he was quite a good shot giver of a man. He had to do a few other procedures that have names I can't pronounce and I also don't want to gross anyone out.

Basically I had a cracked root and this was causing tremendous pain. Tooth had to go, and now I am in limbo waiting to heal, then a shiny new tooth will come to replace
it. It will give me time to save up for round 2, which sadly insurance doesn't cover. This little trip will seriously set me back in my yarn shopping! I am trying to forget that it will also be a set back to *sniff, sniff* bathrooms.


House has saved the day, again! I realized I have more in common that "my boyfriend" than I knew. See, "I don't have a pill problem, I have a pain problem"...that is right my friends, Vicodin is what I have been prescribed! It has taken a day or so to figure it out. I wish I knew what House sees in this med because I certainly don't get it. It makes my feel queasy if I take it straight, and takes forever to help with the pain if I take it with food. I think my magic combo is to take half a pill and break the time in half. Instead of every six hours, go for three hours but half the dose. I have made it all the way through Season 1, and nearly through Season 2....I can't believe it but there were actually 2 episodes that I had never seen!

So last night I made an attempt to knit. Imagine all this down time and just not feeling up to it!! It was terrible to lay there. All I wanted to do was knit. It was right in front of me, several projects all laying on the coffee table, and I could not manage to reach
them. But finally last night I picked up Lady Eleanor and completed an entire row! I think it was a turning point in feeling better. It really did lift my mood a bit to be doing something I was enjoying and to feel closer to normal.


I know hats can be kind of boring but I did finish the Grinchy Grinch hat from 2Askew patterns. I mainly did this hat because I was chompin' at the bit (tooth joke!) to knit with the new yarn we got in last week. Since we no longer carry Noro I was hoping this could be a nice sub for Silk Garden or Kureyon. Let me know what you think. I love the color transitions and it did not disappoint. My son was not thrilled with wearing a pinkish hat, but he did his best to humor me.



Again, I want to say thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement. I felt it, believe it or not....




2 comments:

Tammy said...

Watching House with a bottle of Vicodin? I have to say it doesn't get much better than that. Too bad you had to go through all the pain first though.

In my experience (4 c-sections, 1 wrist surgery, and most recently for headahces), vicodin needs to be taken every 3 hours since it takes about 45 min. to start working then only works for about 3 hours. It has never made me feel queasy... just content... thus the addictive nature of it.

Hope you're feeling better soon. BTW - I wonder why it is that dental assts. always feel the need to tell the patient how good they're doing? Pretty strange that.

Tammy said...

I hope you're feeling better. I started my Lady Eleanor last night. What fun! I've only had the yarn for about a year, so I figured it was time to give it a go.

You got an award on my blog, so check it out when you get a chance.